- PPT Top
- How to Apply
How to Apply
- Be a national of a Bank member country that is eligible to receive Bank financing and not be a national of any country that is not eligible to receive the Bank financing;
- Be in good health with respect to the capacity to be a productive scholar for the duration of the Graduate Program, as certified by a medical doctor;
- Hold a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent with superior academic achievement earned more than three (3) years before the Scholarship Application Deadline;
- Be employed in a paid and full time position at the time of Scholarship Application Deadline unless the applicant is from a country identified in the World Bank’s “Harmonized list of Fragile Situations”;
- Have, by the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, at least three (3) years of recent full time paid professional experience acquired in development-related work after a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in the applicant’s home country or in another developing country. If the applicant is from a country identified in the World Bank’s “Harmonized List of Fragile Situations” at the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, the recent professional experience does not have to be full time or paid;
- Be serving as tax officials in the Government in principle, and have at least three (3) years’ work experience in tax policy or tax administration of the Government in their home countries;
- Not have received any scholarship funding to earn a Graduate degree or its equivalent from any sources funded by the government of Japan;
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, staff of the World Bank Group (the World Bank, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes), or a close relative of the aforementioned;
- Be under the age of forty-five (45).
Priority consideration will be given to applicants who:
- (a) are 35 years old or younger;
- (b) can receive an official leave of absence during the period of study;
- (c) are planning to return to the equivalent position (including the current one) in their home country after s/he completes the program;
- (d) are recommended by appropriate government agencies;
- (e) submitted GRE scores.
B. Application Requirements
The following are the documents to be submitted in addition to the application form:
- English proficiency: Each applicant must demonstrate a proficiency in English sufficient for undertaking instruction in that language. In this regard, a minimum TOEFL score of 79 for the internet based (TOEFL-iBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 is required for entrance into the program. In the case that only the paper-based TOEFL is available in your country, the required minimum score is 550. The only documents we accept are official TOEFL scores sent directly by Educational Testing Service (ETS) or official IELTS score sent directly by the British Council. Please refer to the TOEFL webpage at http://www.ets.org/toefl or the IELTS webpage at http://www.britishcouncil.org/exam where you can obtain information regarding the examination. The institution code for Yokohama National University is 0410 for TOEFL. Choose 84 (economics) as the department code.
The only exception is the case in which the primary language used for academic instructions and communication at the applicant’s undergraduate institution was English. In this case, you must include an official letter obtained from the university confirming this information. Those applicants who do submit TOEFL or IELTS scores will be given priority in the selection process. We do NOT accept copies of TOEFL and IELTS scores directly sent by the applicants, the results of the TOEFL ITP, or any other exams conducted by private agencies.
- Two letters of recommendation: One must be from a supervisor at your workplace, and the other must be from a faculty member of the university from which you obtained your bachelor's degree. Letters of recommendation must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the reference.
Note: Those applicants who are selected for the shortlist will be asked to submit a third recommendation from another workplace supervisor.
- Official academic transcripts: We only accept official transcripts in a sealed envelope issued by your university or school.
- Statement of purpose (1,200 words or less): Be concise and specific in preparing your statement, giving information which will aid the selection committee in evaluating your potential for completing the program. Use the form provided with the application form, attaching an additional sheet if needed. Please type.
Telephone interviews may be conducted to assess English proficiency and/or to confirm any other information contained in the applicant's file. Applicants who cannot be reached for a telephone interview will become ineligible.
Lastly, although this is not required, if you have taken the GRE, please have the official score sent to the program. The institutional GRE code for Yokohama National University is 0410. Those who present GRE scores will be considered favorably in the selection process.
C. How to Apply
- Application forms will be mailed upon request. To receive an application form or for more information, please direct inquiries to:
Inquiries by telephone will not be accepted.
- The application form can be downloaded from this website. Please click here for the 2017 Application.
- Application Form for 2017(312KB)
The following materials constitute your application.
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Confidential Letters of Recommendation
- Official Academic Transcript
- Official TOEFL/IELTS Score or a letter from your undergraduate institution confirming that the primary language used for academic instruction was English.
- Official GRE Score (if available)
Use the original copy of the application form. We do not accept photocopies. We do not accept applications via fax or email.
Your application should be submitted to the following address:
Graduate School of International Social Sciences
Yokohama National University
79-3 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku
Yokohama, 240-8501 JAPAN
- (1) none of the application materials can be returned to applicants under any circumstances;
- (2) a medical certificate will be required in the admission procedure.
- (3) After the YNU application deadline of February 28, 2017, a select number of applicants will be asked to complete an additional online application at a website administered by the World Bank.
D. Application Deadline
Application forms for 2017 Admission (for study program from October 2016-September 2018) are now available (see Item C above). Applications for the 2016 admission must reach the MPE Office by NO LATER than February 28, 2017.