1. Top
  2. FAQs
  3. Programs of Study

Programs of Study

All courses in the program instructed in English? How fluent are the professors in English?
English is the language of instruction for all courses in the International M.A. and PhD. Program in Economics. Professors specifically assigned to the program are fluent in English. Some are native speakers of English while many others have earned a doctoral degree and/or taught economics in English speaking countries.
Is the curriculum for the M.A. and Ph.D. Program lecture based?
The majority of courses in the program are lecture-based. The Ph.D. Program also offers seminal courses which typically comprised of only a few students in the same field and taught by their thesis supervisor. The content of the seminars vary by field and supervisor. Students may present on and discuss journal articles under the guidance of their thesis supervisor, or report and discuss their own research in progress, etc.
Do I need to know some Japanese?
Japanese language ability is not a requirement for students enrolled in the International M.A. and Ph.D. Programs in Economics. As it pertains to one`s daily life in Japan, while it is fairly easily to get by day‐to‐day in Japan without knowing Japanese, it obviously helps to learn some of the basics. We recommend that you have basic Japanese proficiency if you seek off‐campus housing. Many landlords do not speak English and may require their tenants to have basic communication skills in Japanese. See the Housing page for information on dorms provided by the university.
Can I enroll the International M.A. Program in Economics and later transfer to the Japanese M.A. Program in Economics?
No, you cannot. You must pass an entrance exam for the Japanese M.A. Program in Economics to enter that program. Similarly, if you want to enter the Japanese Ph.D. Program in Economics, you must pass an entrance exam for that program.
Can I take individual courses offered in the Japanese M.A. Program if I enter the International M.A. Program in Economics?
Yes. You must complete at least two courses (four credits in total) from the core courses of the International M.A. Program in Economics: Microeconomics I, Macroeconomics, Statistics I, Economic Systems and Economic Policy, however. Students of the International Ph.D. program in Economics may take courses offered in the Japanese Ph.D. program without any restriction.
Can I take some Japanese courses?
Student enrolled in the Graduate School of International Social Sciences may register for Japanese courses offered at various proficiency levels for international students by the university (http://www.isc.ynu.ac.jp/english/course/course/japanese_program.html). You can also take basic Japanese courses offered for international students by the department of economics. Note that there may be scheduling conflict between economics courses and your assigned level for Japanese courses. Also note that course credits for Japanese language courses are not counted towards degree requirements for the International M.A and Ph.D Program in Economics.
I read that it says students enrolled in the International M.A. Program must elect either the Qualifying Exam (QE) or Thesis Option. If I originally select to pursue the Thesis Option, is it possible to later change to the QE Option should I encounter unforeseen difficulties in completing my Thesis?
Students may change their option (QE or Thesis) in writing by the beginning of the second year conditional upon their main advisor's approval. You should make the initial decision very carefully, however, because each option, QE or thesis, requires good preparation from the first year. The change may result in a delay in your program completion if you lack the necessary first year preparation for the track you are moving to.
Does this program measure class time on a quarter or semester system?
YNU`s academic calendar operated on a semesters system. The Fall Semester runs from October 1 through March 31. The Spring Semester runs from April 1 through September 30.
I read that students in the International M.A. Program in Economics can take non-credit lectures offered in the Bachelor’s Program in Economics. Are any of these lectures offered in English?
With few exceptions, all of our undergraduate economic courses are offered in Japanese. If your undergraduate major was in a field other than economics, it is strongly advised that new entrants review undergraduate level counterparts for the core courses in the International M.A. Program in Economics, such as microeconomics, macroeconomics, and statistics before your enrollment. If you are to pursue the International Economics and Pubic Economics field, you should also review calculus and linear algebra before enrollment to do well in the program.
Are there any internship opportunities arranged by the Graduate School?
The International M.A. and Ph.D. Programs in Economics do not arrange internships for students. Internships independently arranged by students do not count as credit towards the degree.

Page Top